You’re a quick ride away from the beating heart of big-city activity in this laid-back neighborhood. Easily accessible by foot from Haight-Ashbury or the N-Judah from other parts of the city.
The Inner Sunset Highlights
- 16th Ave. Tiled Steps: Beautiful views of the area. This is a lesser known urban hike. You can see Golden Gate Park and the ocean. Find it at 16th St. & Moraga St. Cool community project where an outdoor staircase is tiled with beautiful designs.
- Explore Golden Gate Park.
- Mary-Anne Hairstyling (1327 9th Ave): Seemingly untouched since the 1980s, this hair and nail salon is an Inner Sunset gem. It will be the best quality mani/pedi for just $20, and they are never in a rush to get you out of the chair. Make sure to get a snack beforehand or afterwards at neighbor Arizmendi. manicures are $8, pedicures are $15
- Circus Center (755 Frederick St): A non-profit school for circus arts! Check the schedule here.
The Inner Sunset Food & Drink
- Art’s Café (747 Irving St): This hole-in-the-wall, family-owned diner has no frills, but they make a mean, carbo-loaded “hashbrown sandwich.” Great bi bim bap, too!
- Arizmendi’s (1331 9th Ave): One of my favorite bakeries in the whole city. A wide selection of muffins, breads, and a daily-rotating pizza.
- San Tung (1031 Irving St): Authentic Chinese food in a family-friendly enviornment. The dry fried chicken wings are life-changing and one of the few things I’m willing to wait over an hour for, and San Franciscans travel miles for. Be prepared for a wait if you come here during prime lunch or dinner time.
- Yancy’s Saloon: A huge space while maintaing a cozy living room feel, complete with lots of regular patrons and house plants. Extras include TVs, pool, darts, and Pac-man. Oh and feel free to bring in your own food—pizza is a popular choice. Unbeatable location at the heart of the Inner Sunset.
- The Little Shamrock: