Health & Wellness
Holistic approaches to health and wellness are widely available in SF, including acupuncture, foot massages, meditation centers, and yoga studios on nearly every block. Here are Ali’s picks!
Circle Community Acupuncture (1351 Harrison St.): Hands down one of the most relaxing experiences you can for yourself. This place is amazing and keeps acupuncture incredibly affordable with a sliding scale of $15-35/visit (your 1st visit costs $10 extra in paperwork fees). Linger for however long you want in your reclining chair.
- Yoga to the People (2973 16th St., 5th Floor): The go-to open yoga studio in the Mission, it’s the easiest place to just show up and be accepted. You can rent a mat for $2, and it’s donation based, so donate whatever you have. Find no pretention here. Warning: Classes tend to get full!
- Yoga Tree: With several locations throughout the city, excellent instructors, and good class size make this one of the best studios in the city. Their intro package: $20/3 classes
- Class Pass: A fitness membership that lets you enjoy hundreds of different workout classes in hundreds of gyms and parks throughout the Bay Area. $99/month.
- Free yoga in the park: Saturdays @ 11am in Golden Gate Park
- Banya (748 Innes Ave.): Located in the Bayview neighborhood which is rarely visited by tourists, this is a Russian bath house featuring steam rooms, saunas, and baths. Some rooms are clothing optional. Drinks and snack bar. A 3-hour pass is only $30! Ladies Nights 1st & 3rd Tuesdays of the month.
- Kabuki Springs & Spa (1750 Geary Blvd): An oasis of relaxation day-spa with hot baths and steam room. Women only: Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Men only: Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Co-ed: Tuesdays (Bathing Suit Required). $25 pass to use baths.
- Refuge Spa: Located in beautiful Carmel Valley, $44 gives you all day access to the dozens of pools (both hot and cool), saunas, and lounge areas. Swimsuit and silence required.
- Harbin Hot Springs: Clothing optional hot springs about a 2 hour drive from San Francisco located just north of Napa Valley. Several options to choose from: Day passes, weekend passes, camping, cabins, etc. Check here for rates. Don’t miss the free yoga in the temple!
- La Nee Thai Massage (1453 Valencia St.): Amazing affordable massages in the Mission. If you do not like pressure, stress to the therapist you like it gentler! $60/1 hour.
- Relax Feet Massage: Cheap foot massage + some body work, with several locations throughout the city. Not fancy, but utilitarian and double-purposes as a quick trip to China. $32/1 hour.
- Massage Now: A phone app that allows you big discounts on same-day massage and spa services.