- AT&T Park: Watch the Giants!
- California Academy of Sciences & Golden Gate Park: Find one of the largest natural history museums in the world inside the natural wonder, Golden Gate Park. Don’t miss the living roof, earthquake stimulator, and planetarium. Tickets: $34.95/adult, $29.95 /youth, $24.95/child.
- Children’s Creativity Museum & Carousel: An interactive art and technology museum for kids in SoMa. Carousel costs $4/ticket, good for 2 rides. Tickets: $12. Parents will enjoy the Samovar Tea Lounge.
- Crissy Fields: Bring a kite and picnic with unbelievable bay and Golden Gate Bridge views.
- Dolores Park Playground: Although Dolores Park can get rowdy, the playground up top remains family-friendly. Your kids will quickly meet new friends!
- Exploratorium: Along the Embarcadero, find this science museum with lots of hands-on exhibits.
- Ferry Building: Nearby the Exploratorium, find the Ferry Building & Sue Bierman Park Playground
- Golden Gate Park: Head to Stow Lake, rent a pedal boat, and feed the ducks!
- Musée Mécanique (Pier 45 Shed A): An old fashioned arcade (FREE entry, but bring quarters to play!) with over 300 games. If you only play one game, I recommend that you find the old fashioned typewriter in the back to get your fortune told! It is freaky how accurate it is! These games were originally housed at Playland, an old amusement park at Ocean Beach.
- Randall Museum: This tiny (and free) science and animal museum is on the ascent to Corona Heights, one of my favorite urban hikes.
- San Francisco Zoo: Check out Ocean Beach while you’re in the neighborhood. Tickets: $17/adult, $11/youth. Highlights: the Gorillas and monkies, the huge childrens play area, carousel, and steam train.
- SF Public Libraries: Every neighborhood has one! Check the website for locations and schedule of events.
- Hidden Slides: Bernal Heights Mini-Park Slides and Seward Street Slides.
- Walt Disney Museum: In the middle of gorgeous Presidio Park, the Walt Disney museum brings Walt Disney’s legacy to life.
- Stern Grove summer concerts: A free outdoor concert series in a beautiful eucalyptus grove. Go a few hours before the show starts to stake out a good spot and bring a picnic (adult-friendly beverages OK!)
Just outside the city:
- Bay Area Discovery Museum in Sausalito
- Tilden Park & Steam Trains in Berkeley
Need additional help planning your trip to San Francisco? Contact Alley Cat by filling out the form on the homepage.